Monday, February 13, 2012

The Half-Huriliathon turns into a Half-Marathon!!

So the title pretty much gives the ending away, but I'm just too excited to contain myself!


Let me start at the beginning of the re-commitment I made to improving my overall health shortly after Hope was born. I purchased a Living Social deal to attend Baby Boot Camp classes and started those in May. I also at that time signed up for my first 5K race, the Inaugural Police Appreciation Run in honor of the three fallen officers. I attended my first couple of BBC classes and then went to the 5K. I walked most of that race and was wiped out at the end of it. My time for that 5K was 50:51; averaging 16:24 per mile. Not great, but I was thrilled to have my first 5K under my belt and a time to improve on. In fact, I had such a great time at that race that about a week later I registered for the Rock-n-Roll Half-Marathon. As one of the first registrants I qualified for an extra discount. I knew I had to jump on it or miss my savings opportunity. After all, it was only May and I had until February to prepare for it.


I continued attending BBC classes and in July, one of the BBC instructors, Katie, decided to start a running group for beginners. We were following the couch-2-5K program and I did fine for the first 3-4 weeks but then I found I just couldn't keep up. I kept going, but at my own pace. I participated in a couple of other 5K events. My favorite was an un-official Turkey Trot with the IRunMommiesSt.Petersburg. Their motto is "No Mommy Left Behind" and it's true! Even being the slowest on in the group I'm still a part of the team and have running company, support and cheerleaders.


Although I never ran an entire 5K, my times continued to improve with a walk/jog combination. I decided to sign up for a 10K to have that practice before the half-marathon. I completed the St. Pete Beach Classic 10K and had very mixed emotions afterwards. I did great, for me, with a time of 1:31:01. The discouragement came in that the race took everything I had and I placed 322 out of 324. This was on January 14th. Knowing that the Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon was less than 1 month away and I would have to race more than twice a 10K distance, I just could not see the possibility of it. That day I decided I would not do the RNR, but would wait and do my first half-marathon later in the year.


A couple of weeks ago I posted on Facebook that my RNR entry was for sale. Much to my surprise and dismay, there were no takers. People were asking what my plans were and I just didn't know. The race was getting closer and closer and as I read through the info I saw that if you didn't get to certain places by certain times then you would be detoured. Aha - there was my solution! I would not do a half-marathon, I would do a half-huriliathon. Phew - without the pressure of having to complete 13.1 miles in under 4 hours and with no body willing to buy my entry from me, I was set to go to do my best and complete as much as I could.


Two days before the race I picked up my packet and even splurged on some sport beans for some added energy during the race.




On Sunday morning I rose bright and early. I hadn't gotten all the sleep I wanted because Whine 3 was lonely during the night. But it was okay because all I had to do was show up and walk. I met up with the IRunMommies and the energy level was amazing! Although we were all FREEZING in the 25-35 degree wind chill. 

The race began at 7:30 but since I was in the 11th corral, I didn't cross the start line until a little after 7:45.


So I take off walking (not jogging or running for I knew I had to conserve my energy).  I passed the 5K mark and later the 10K mark and I was doing fine. Once I passed the 7 mile mark I was in new territory. I began counting down the miles until I could call my family. The plan was for me to call them at mile 10 and they would come cheer me on for the last 5K. Low and behold, at about 7.5 miles I received a text that the Whines and Cheese were already there and waiting for me at mile 11. I figured I would see them in just under an hour if I really pushed it. I chomped down on some Sport Beans and kept on going. I got to the St. Petersburg Pier and after I had gone down, around and was just turning off of it I saw the End Wagon following the last person. I couldn't believe I was that far ahead. My thinking was that at any time I would be detoured. 

Well, with super achy feet I finally reached the family at mile 11 and had just 2 miles to go. I could just picture myself collapsing after the finish line. I had made it so far and was determined now not to get detoured. I just had to keep going and I did. 

As it turned out, I never got detoured and completed the full 13.1 miles in 3:33:20. That is an average 16:17 minute miles. That is faster than pace I had in my first 5K. And what I thought was going to be a half-Huriliaton turned out to be a full-fledged Half-Marathon and I DID IT!!



Now, for the daily giggle.

On the way home from the race Chris told the kids to take a rest so they could play with friends when they got home. Jayna replies, "Daddy, you do realize I'm sitting up, don't you? To rest I have to lay down." 






2 comments:

  1. Congrats! I just did the St. Pete RnR as my first 1/2 and I too was hanging out in the back...in fact I think I only finished about 9 minutes before you! It's amazing how "easy" we can accomplish things when we change our perspective on them, right?

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete