Friday, February 24, 2012

Stickwithititos

 Not to be dramatic or a hypochondriac or anything but I believe I have a disease that has not been discovered yet. Or perhaps it has, but I haven't had much time for watching the news or reading the paper lately. I also try not to google medical issues because that just leads to further panic. So, my unofficially diagnosed, perhaps undiscovered disease may or may not actually exist. It is, without a doubt, more of a psychological disease rather than a physical one but those two are never mutually exclusive.


So consider that A is ... , I'm stopping myself. Although this is taking everything in my being to do. I have a great desire to turn this into a lesson on Venn Diagrams and disjoint events, but that's not the point today so I'm turning off the Statistics teacher in me and moving on with my new career as a disease inventor.


I have named this psychological/physical disease Stickwithititos. Stickwithititos is when an individual fails to see tasks through to the end on a regular basis. My current symptoms can be seen in losing weight, various crafts and projects around the house, my career, exercise programs and the list goes on. I know these symptoms are common and that many others must also suffer from Stickwithititos. But why??


I recently read an article in Parade Magazine about getting over a breakup. Now I have absolutely no reason to need advice in that area, but I always read Parade Magazine. My love for it started as a child reading the Ask Marilyn column where people write in to ask questions of and try to stump one of the smartest women in the world. In my geeky world, she is the epitome of coolness.


The article suggested that to get over a breakup you should start a new hobby. It went on to discuss the relationship between starting a new hobby and the increase of endorphin releases at the early stages of doing that new hobby. This gave a person who was sad over their breakup something new to focus on and a good release of endorphins. Made great scientific sense to me and led me to understanding a little better that as activities continue, the endorphin release became less and it was just not as appealing. So essentially, a person with Stickwithititos is an endorphin junky.


I then examined what I have been great at sticking with over the years. Reading is at the top. I am an avid reader, not just of Parade Magazine, but of almost anything. While I have continued reading without fail for years, my choice in what I read changes regularly. I'll go on a mystery kick, then history, biographies, contemporary fiction, fantasy and back and forth and on and on. I'll read almost anything as long as it isn't too smutty. I believe the start of a new book gives me the endorphin rush I long for.


Another area where I have had some recent success with overcoming my Stickwithititos is in my current exercise routine. I was wondering why Baby Boot Camp has held my attention for so long. I think the answer is that the classes are in different places throughout the week and there are different instructors. You also have the social aspect where you can see your friends, but it is a thrill each time to see who will be there. While exercise can provide an endorphin rush, I personally need more to keep me going and I'm thrilled to have found it.


Now, moving forward, how can I use this knowledge to overcome my Stickwithititos? The answer seems to be in keeping newness to the daily grind. Not becoming so remote and mechanical in my daily activities that I can't find something new and exciting about them. It occurs to me that I might even be able to make my new job of cooking and cleaning fun if I don't force too many routines into it.


We shall see... I'll keep you blogged.

Please like Kindness Closet of Facebook and check out our current auctions on eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment